Photos

Photographer's Note

Collepino is a fraction of the town of Spello (PG).
The small village is situated at a height of 600 m above sea level, on the southern flank of Mount Subasio: it departs from the scenic road that connects Spello Assisi through the top of the mountain and another road that follows the side of mountain still to Assisi, passes Armenzano. The valley cut by the river Chiona opens at the foot of the village, inhabited by 49 people (according to official census ISTAT 2001). The territory of Collepino is fully inserted inside the regional park of Mount Subasio.
The origin is probably earlier than the thirteenth century the village was born as a colony of woodcutters and shepherds of the nearby Benedictine abbey of S. Silvestro, which later became the defensive bulwark of raids and looting. The abbey was built, according to tradition in 1025 by St. Romuald, the founder of Camaldolese, about 2 km away and 715 m above sea level, towards the summit of Mt. The church grew rapidly in importance: Alexander III, was under the protection of the Holy See in 1178, ensuring the significant heritage of churches and buildings in the area stripping. However, in 1236, after a period of decline, the abbey was suppressed and its assets divided between several monasteries of Spello and Spoleto. In the fifteenth century, the abbey became employed by the parish priest of Collepino (until 1875).
Several successive conflicts created additional problems at the abbey, when, in 1535, hosted some followers of the family of the Baglioni of Perugia (adverse to the papacy), was made to destroy Paul III.
In 1972, Mother Maria Teresa of the Eucharist there has founded the community of Little Sisters of Mary, who by then resident of the Transfiguration Hermitage: it is nothing more than a building built on the ruins of the abbey.
Olive growing is one of the main sources of economic income for the villagers.
At New Year's Eve (December 31), patron saint of the country, blessed bread is distributed to animals, according to local tradition, to ensure protection from disease.
Castle Collepino is in excellent condition, with some dwellings, all restored, also served as the residence of the garrison to protect the abbey.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1936
Points: 76
Discussions
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17691 W: 130 N: 37157] (202616)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH