Photographer's Note

One Tree Hotel
The One Tree Hotel is 38 km north on land that was originally a pastoral holding. It was built in 1862 as Finch's Inn and served as a staging post on the Cobb & Co. run between Hay and Wilcannia until that service ended in 1914. Here the passengers would disembark for lunch and a rest while the horse team was changed. William Clark bought the hotel off Alexander Finch and he leased the huge government tank nearby which watered up to 12,000 sheep at a time. Horse and bullock teams of up to a thousand in number were watered at the charge of a penny per head. The inn was purchased by the McQuade family in the 1880s who still own it. Although the original structure burned down in 1901 the insurance claim stated that recompense could only be made if the building was rebuilt exactly as it had been so the current hotel is a replica. The license lapsed in the 1940s when it became a private residence. It is currently derelict but worth a look. One Tree was proclaimed a village in 1885 though it never grew and the old building is a lone sentinel on the plains today.
Exerpt from The Sydney Morning Herald.

jtb1965, zmey trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2033
Points: 20
  • None
Additional Photos by STEVE and IOANA HAMILTON (marioana) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 291 W: 1 N: 233] (2256)
View More Pictures